Sunday, January 10, 2010

10,000 Steps


It all begins with the first step. (Hey, I've got a wedding coming up in the fall and I have to get in shape!)

So I started on an exercise routine that I think I can incorporate into my lifestyle. It's the "take 10,000 steps each day" program. Or the USA Today recommended walking program for those who like to make New Year's resolutions.

On the first day I wore the pedometer, going about my usual business, I walked 3,762 steps.

On the second day I wore the pedometer, I added to my usual business a trip to the grocery walking up and down each aisle. My total was 4,653 steps at the end of that day.

Hm-m-mmm. I was going to have to "step it up" (pun intended!) if I was going to get in 10,000 steps each day.

The USA Today exercise routine suggests a walk on Sundays of one hour and 20 minutes.

(A girlfriend is eager to get me out cross country skiing but there isn't quite enough snow yet.)

So I headed to the mall and joined the mall walkers.

I set my watch to walk continuously for an hour and 20 minutes.

At the end of that time, I looked at my pedometer and you can see what it registered: 10,068 steps!

Accomplishment feels good ....

Haiku:
One step at a time
Daily goal of 10,000.
Each new day's challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment