Thursday, October 29, 2009

Last Year's Pumpkin Carving


Apropos to the season, I've uploaded a photo of the kids at the Kappa House in Santa Barbara last year as they prepared for their pumpkin carving ritual. Unfortunately, this year finds Marika in Santa Barbara and the boys in LA so they won't be all together for the event.

Adam and Laura are hosting Evan and some of their friends tonight at their LA apartment for the annual carving rite. One of the things they love to do, and consider a "must-do" each year, is scoop out the seeds, wash them, put them on a cookie sheet with butter and salt, and roast them in the oven. This is something we all used to do as a family and provides great memories.

I went to my monthly Book Club dinner and meeting last night. We discussed The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but I had to admit that I hadn't gotten past page 32 because -- quite honestly -- I couldn't focus on reading this past month while living at the hospital. It was a hard book to get into for me. My Book Club friends assured me that if I can just get up to page 35, I will be hooked. So .... three more pages to go and apparently I'll be compelled to keep reading until it's finished!

Gil had his second outpatient clinic appointment today. He's doing well. He'll be seen twice again next week, but if all goes well, they'll drop him down to once-a-week visits which is something to look forward to.

In the meantime, he continues to take daily walks and is regaining his strength. His white cell count is still in the low normal range so he can't go out in public or have people over to visit, but all things in due time they say.


No comments:

Post a Comment