Friday, November 27, 2009

We're cooking now!

Friends and Family,


Today marks the final day of my Thanksgiving vacation, but I am not ready for it to end. I have spent four family-filled days here in beautiful (and grey) Michigan, laughing and eating my way through the holiday. It has been a wonderful escape from the perpetual 70-degree sunny weather in southern California that I usually endure (wink-wink).


The Thanksgiving holiday rings especially true with the Raff family. Life, as we’ve realized, is a winding road. But with modern medicine, love and thoughts from family and friends we have continued moving forward.


This year, I’m thankful for my Dad and Mom.


My Dad’s strength and determination to conquer this disease has been immense. Throughout this process, he has remained optimistic, realistic and always thoughtful. I never saw him once frustrated or angry with the nurses or doctors he often depended on for even the smallest favor. He never lost his patience or lashed out despite the countless pokes and prods that he endured. His will to win is stronger now than ever.


My Mom’s kindness and patience has been endless during these past few months. She has played the role of wife, mother, nurse, housekeeper, guidance councilor, therapist and chef, all without missing a beat. She has simultaneously hosted family from across the world, turned a hospital room into a home, kept family and friends updated and soothed my father’s aches and pains. She deserves a thousand standing ovations, but would never ask for one. She is truly the glue that holds this family together.


Thank you to all those who have given us strength these last few months. Thank you to all the doctors, nurses and hospital staff who have continued to perform admirably. Thank you to everyone who has asked how my Dad is doing. Thank you for all your thoughts – silent or voiced.


Happy Thanksgiving from the Raff Family.


Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment